THE BELLAGUARDA TOWER
- 14th_20th century
The Bellaguarda Tower, a historical witness to Altea in the Middle Ages, was built over the ruins of a former defence tower. It stood by a 14th century Christian settlement, populated up to the 16th century. The Plaza de la Canterería, thoroughly renovated in 1990, includes a non-historic “reconstruction” of the tower, where the viewpoint we see today was built. The tower and its surroundings occupied the square space formed by today’s Plaza de la Canterería and surrounding houses, as represented in Francisco de Ricaud’s map dated in 1740. The group of houses and its square lead to the old Bellaguarda Mill.
We continue down the calle de la Canterería street, which leads us to Casa Salvà and Casa Picó houses. On the way, ceramic images of Christian virgins and saints may be observed.
(This information is published in the Guía de Altea by J. Miguel del Rey)